I do believe I will strike the phrase "I think the Lord blah blah blah..." from my vocabulary. I do believe I will replace it with "I feel the Lord x y z's." The alteration may seem Lilliputian, but its impact is more thank skin deep in that it reminds me to relinquish control of my faith.
My point is this: yesterday I talked to a friend about worry, I talked to a friend about "boy trouble," I talked to a friend about her loss, I talked to pretty much everyone about Haiti, I talked to my roommates about our impending "futures," I talked to a friend about her wedding. In every one of these conversations the Lord was a dominant figure in the discussion. If you word searched a transcript of these chats, His name would most likely been frequently sprinkled throughout. I know that the words I spoke about the Lord were genuine, born out of a genuine desire to share what is on my heart for them, but as I reflect on my days I am realizing that I periodically talk about the Lord before talking to Him. In addition, by virtue of the fact that I am so often surrounded by individuals possessing staggering faith, I find myself leaning on them as if they were crutches as I hobble my way down the road to Heaven (sometimes quite literally hobbling, as in when I get tendinitis in my left foot and become a gimp, as in right now). And this has to stop.
What's funny about this to me is that literally nothing I say after "I feel the Lord..." has to be different from what would have followed "I think the Lord..." and in no way do I have to begin ignoring those who have embraced me, challenged me, confided in me, questioned me, and loved me well - - I can have the exact same encounters and experiences. As usual I simply need to be more conscious of the source of my speculations - because all I say will only ever be speculative until I cease looking to myself for words first. When I put aside what I think or what I hear from others and begin to rely more on what the Lord is whispering in my heart, I believe He will use my tongue (and my thoughts) to serve Him more fully. I feel like Camus' Sisyphus, pushing my rock back up the same hill every day, but it is a continual struggle for me to look first to the Lord.

1) The word "gimp" is so funny.
ReplyDelete2) Please take heart in the fact that as evidenced by your life in my life, you have staggering faith, but not that we're loved any more or less despite.
and much less important but also true:
3) I really like your background. Maybe you could help me with that sometime.