26 January 2010

remains of the day

This morning my gender studies professor declared, "it's your body, you have to protect it, its all you have!"

False.

So so false.

Often I forget that belief in greater purpose is neither universal nor inherent. I can barely comprehend what it must be like to walk through life without the assurance that there is more. That this is not my home.

The other day a friend looked at me and asked, "why aren't you dead yet?" (She wasn't referencing a surprising survival in the face of dangerous behavior on my part, most likely because there isn't much aforementioned dangerous behavior on my part to survive). She was asking me what I was living for, why the Lord hadn't taken me home yet. She was telling me that there is obviously a reason I am still here, that I have purpose on this earth whether I am aware of it or not. My body is essential to my life here, but it could not be farther from "all I have." In fact, more than anything it is simply a tool that has been given to me in order that I may fulfill my greater purpose. So that I will bless the Lord. So that I will bring glory to His name. So that I can be forgiven. So that one day I can go home.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen a million times over and then some.

    "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, Who, by the power that enables Him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body."

    Philippians 3:20-21

    (P.S. Does the person who asked you that question happen to go to Seacoast? They are doing a series whose title is that very question....highly coincedental perhaps?)

    ReplyDelete