I don't feel like a graduate. But then again, what is a graduate supposed to feel like? So far the only big difference is the fact that Barnes & Noble is no longer a huge basket of forbidden fruit - I now have all the time in the world to read whatever juicy option strikes my fancy in the aisles (Proust this time, I didn't stand a chance). Well, all the time in the world but maybe not all the money in the world- but I'll get cracking on that next week.
Really though, I feel that I am the same me that I was four years ago- but when I witness the mature young women my little sisters have morphed into all of the sudden I think I potentially have grown a bit too, right? It shocks me that that night wasn't 24 hours ago. I can still feel the tears welling up (the first tears of my "being left at school three states away from everything I have ever known" experience) as my sisters' small hands sprinkled hoarded quarters onto my bed. Their offering may seem silly - but those quarters washed many a sock and shirt during my freshman year, and when I slid them into the greedy slots of my hall washer & dryer units I never failed to remember that night. In fact even now, four years later, with all those quarters long gone, I still am often called back to that night whenever I see Washington's silver profile or slam down the lid on our washer.
Isn't it funny the things we recall? I can't think why I am so vividly and emotionally tied to that memory, but I don't think its going anywhere.
Frankly, I prefer it that way.

No comments:
Post a Comment