25 March 2010

Magic Moment

It has finally happened. I have been waiting for this moment for about four months. Tonight, at approximately 1:21 AM I woke up warm, hot even. After this unreasonably cold winter that was only made all the more dreadful by the death of my beloved space heater in a huge blue snap of electricity, the weather has finally shifted. As I slowly awakened to the realization that I was feeling rather toasty, joy spread through me like spring through the land of Narnia. I'm making a big deal of it, you say? Yes. Yes, I am. If only you could understand how much I despise sleeping in multiple layers. In socks. In twisty sheets of tangly death. IN FLEECY HELL. Yes, my friends, that is where I have been the past few months, you just don't know it because I am such the poster child for silent suffering. But never fear for that time has come to a close. We've had a few sneakily warm days here, a few outright beauties that were such teasers, and a few cruelly cold days in the past few weeks, but this - this is the first night that the warmth has subsisted. Enough so that at approximately 1:23 AM I joyfully tossed back my covers, kicked off my socks, scoffed at the fleece blankets relegated to the floor, and skipped into the hallway to flip on my fan (yes I said hallway, this is a crusty old gem of a house I live in, and some of its wonders cannot be explained). All of this very naturally riled me up to the point that I could not exactly settle back into my slumbers, and so here I am, sharing my jubilation. I have to say, as I lie here basking in the freedom of one layer instead of seventy-three, with my feet dangling outside without fear of blossoming icicles, I feel rather alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment