12 November 2009

Everything But The Kitchen Sink

Well, here I am. I could save face and claim to be here because the world is just demanding more Meredith, but I'm pretty sure no one would fall for that. In fact, when people have said "Oh I would read your blog!" to me - sure my vanity was flattered, but in truth my primary reaction was fear. Fear because I am a person to whom strong opinions occur as naturally as breathing, and fear because this platform would certainly encourage me to spout off all the more. Nevertheless, here I am. What I have come to realize about "blogging" is that by participating I could either fall prey to my propensity for getting up on my soap box, or I could challenge myself to see things differently. I was re-re-re-reading a book the other day, and as often happens I was struck by something I had skimmed over before. The main character wrote in a letter to her publisher, "She was a noticer Sydney, like me." While it may not have been key to the plot, that line reverberated through my consciousness, and the voices in my head started yelling, "me too! me too! me too!" 

I have noticed that I notice things that are often of no note. 

Oswald Chambers said, "You can never set apart for God something that you desire for yourself to achieve your own satisfaction." So, as I sit in my sea of pillows with my off-brand Raison Bran (which is better than the real deal, seriously they've got the raison to flake ratio down pat) I do hereby solemnly swear to honor the hallowed halls of blogdom by resisting the temptation to preach, and I will just be A Noticer. For Jesus. Plus if people read my thoughts, I won't have to watch their eyes glaze over when they realize that yes, I can possibly have more to say about Michelle Kwan and -did you know that she was a foreign ambassador? - they can just clickity click and be on their merry little way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment